Monday, January 9, 2012

Thoughts about The Artist



The Artist is one of the front runners to win the Oscar for Best Picture and after seeing it recently, I can understand why. I had a fantastic time watching the movie and left the theater with a smile on my face.

The story, about a silent movie star's fall due to talking movies, and his female protege's concurrent rise due to the rise of these "talkies" is a fun throwback to a past era of film. I am surprised at how much I enjoyed The Artist, I really thought it would be a drab affair. However, there are fantastic scenes throughout the movie, from the time when our hero George Valentin stumbles to perform a scene correctly with his love interest Peppy Miller, to the moment when Valentin realizes that the silent movie is dead, and sound adds a new dimension that a silent film could never replicate.

Much like the type of character he portrays, The Artist is done in a silent movie style; no words are spoken by any of the characters during the film. This means that the films hinges on the performances of its lead, French comedian Jean Dujardin. Dujardin's ability to emote with his face and body tell the story the way that words could not. I believe that he might be the favorite for best actor right now.

**** stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment